Here is the silicone grease, costs about £5 a tube,
I disassembled the light (and removed the gasket) and applied a very small amount – you need hardly any (if it gets on your hands its almost impossible to remove).
Here is the superchunks current car detailing kit
Here is my basic kit list to keep a car in good shape, an update from this old post.
- Wash mit – noodle mit (asda) get 2 – different colours! (one for wheels one for bodywork)
- Drying towel – Asda (seldom available) or cyc loads of other traders on here. I would avoid the blue ones as I found they leak dye everywhere
- White Spirit – Wilkinson, B&Q etc ect to remove tar as recomened by SAAB
- Microfibre cloths – Asda kent cloths for messy jobs, windows and interior
- Polishing cloths – Yellow MF polishing cloths from CYC amongst others
- Buckets – Standard builders buckets £1 ea get 2 or 3 (I don’t bother with grit guards)
- Spray bottles – (Wilkinsons) for diluted detail spray, PERL and white spirit
- Mini Spray bottles – (boots, Superdrug) – for diluting PERL 1-1 for tyres
- Pump Sprayer – (wilkinson etc) great for APC mixed 10-1 for wheels etc
- Wax applicators – Tesco baby sponges – these work great
- Tyre dressing applicator – Dish sponges cut up
- Detail Brush – great for cleaning badges, door shuts etc
- Spray lithium grease (3in1) (Halfords etc)– for greasing door and boot hinges after washing
- Shampoo – 3m shampoo (tesco), Zymol autowash (halfords)
- Clay – sonus ultra fine (CYC amongst others) for cleaning engrained contaminants from paint – use with ONR at detail spray strength
- Detail spray/bird bomb remover Optimum No Rinse (concentrated)
- Tar remover – White spirit (Wilkison, B&Q etc) as recommenced by saab
- Decon Gel – Wolfs Decon Gel (CYC and loads of other traders) to remove iron-dissolving gel from wheels and bodywork
- Polish/All in One – Carlack 68 NSC or Autoglym Super Resin Polish
- Wax/Sealant – FK1000p (if a lighter colour) or Colli 845 if not (AG EGP if your halfords shopping) (Both FK and 845 are great on wheels as well)
- Trim and Tyres – PERL (CYC amongst others) great trim, tyres, rubber, interior and leather dressing – concentrated
- Window cleaner – 3m Foam window cleaner ((tesco) or astonish)
- Optional – drying aid Demon Shine (asda amongst others) – great as a drying aid just dilute some in rinse water
- APC – Stardrops (Wilkinson etc) great for wheels (nothing further needed if sealed) and everything else
- Non Bio washing liquid (I use Tesco/Aldi own brand)- for washing MFs and mits (don’t use fabric conditioner) and add soda crystals if your in a hard water area – more details here
Below: Illustrated items are listed in bold above.
Car Detailing: Washing Micro Fibre Cloths
To keep microfibre cloths at their best –
- Wash as soon as possible after use
- Use non-biological washing liquid (not powder) (at about half the recommended dose) without fabric conditioner
- I also add soda crystals to soften the water and wash at 40 degrees on a delicate wash setting.
- Air Dry or tumble dry and box up to keep clean
Don’t wash cloths/applicator pads used to apply Sealant such as FK1000p in a washing machine as the wash will not remove the sealant and will leave solvent residue inside the machine. Wash new micro-fibre cloths prior to use to remove any dust or grit.
Here is how to remove an old car dealership sticker from a car window.
I used the following:
The hair dryer softens the old adhesive and then most of the sticker can be peeled away, then wipe over with WD40 to remove any remaining residue.
Finally a quick clean with window cleaner and the job is complete.