Installing A Monitor Mount

I had some spare IT kit and I thought it would be useful have a PC and monitor in the workshop.

I wanted to mount the monitor on the wall out the way, so I purchased the cheapest swivel monitor mount off ebay for about £7.

I was given an old pc minus a hard drive so I found one in the stores and then installed Xubuntu 14.04LTS which was all easy enough, added a £3 ebay usb wi-fi stick and a keyboard and mouse I had kicking about.

To mount it I decided to fix the bracket to a piece of 2×4″ then the 2×4″ to the wall, this will provide four fixings in the wall rather than two so should be more secure.

To begin, I took a piece of scrap 2×4, and bevelled the ends for aesthetics and marked where I wanted the 2×4″ to be fixed to the wall.

Continue reading

Adding a second LNB to a Satellite Dish

A Little later than expected, I have finally added an extra LNB to the set-up so I can receive a few more free to air channels. The first post detailing the set-up of the sat system is here

The finished install:

I have been running the Skybox F5 for quite a few months without issue, but I decided I wanted to add a second LNB to the set-up to get some extra free to air channels – specifically from 19.2E degrees so I could watch some continental TV and see the F1 free to air whilst still retaining the channels from 28.2E.

Continue reading

D Link DIR615 Router running DD-WRT

Router D Link 615 – Hardware version D4 + DD-WRT

I wanted to find a router capable of running DD-WRT, this new firmware provides enhanced functionality over the standard stock firmware. Some Buffalo routers come with DD-WRT pre-installed but I struggled to find any nearby. So the search was on, I first looked for new routers and found a few from TP Link, but having had problems with some homeplugs (powerline adapters) I decided to keep looking and happened to find that D-Link DIR 615 cable routers would great with DD-WRT. These routers also happened to have been sent out by one of the big UK internet service providers meaning there are plenty on e-bay, still boxed and never used. So just under £9 later (inc P+P) I had a D-Link 615 (revision: D4) cable router.

Continue reading

Replacing a washing machine seal

Replacing a washing machine seal on a Bosch WAE24367GB/14

The seal on our washing machine either perished or something got caught up in it and so I was left with a large pool of water on the floor after a wash had completed. A bit of research followed and luckily it seemed easy enough to replace. Then I identified exactly which part number was required. Genuine part ordered and arrived for £30ish the real work started. I followed this youtube video, which although was for a different Bosch machine was basically the same.
Link to Video (no affiliation)

Here is the damaged seal:

Continue reading

Mission 731i

Mission 731i speakers
Speakers for a lepai/lvpin amp see first post here LINK i found some mission 731i speakers from gumtree for a few pounds. They were in great condition (complete with grills) and with reassuringly well braced and heavy cabinets.
The 731i’s are from the mid 90’s and are 8ohm, 89db, and they were as the specs indicate very easy to drive when hooked up to my main amp. When i paired them with the T amp, that really needs easy to drive speakers due to the low power output it sounded great.

job done.


Frequency Response ±3dB: 70Hz – 20KHz
LF Response -6dB: 55Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8Ohms
Sensitivity SPL 1M 1.83V: 89dB
Recommended Amplifier: 25 – 75 W/C
Max SPL per Pair: 103dB
Crossover Frequency: 3.1KHz
Drive Units: 130mm Plastiflex (LF); 2.5mm Silk Dome F. F Cooled (HF)
Input Connector: Multi Way Post
Cabinet Dimensions: 313mm h; 175mm w; 200mm d
Finish: Black Ash

Wooden speaker brackets from 2×4″ and 2×3″

I wanted to make some speaker brackets for the new (old) mission speakers I acquired for the workshop and having some scrap 2×4″, 2×3″ and MDF, I made up these.

I was inspired by this design from instructables LINK. I choose to amend the design by choosing to use lots of wood glue(!) and mitred some of the edges for aesthetics.

I cut the pieces to size, sanded and fixed with wood screws and lots of wood glue. These will easily support the speakers and I think look good. By cutting the 2×3″ this way it will ensure that there is plenty of room to fix the brackets to the wall either side of the brace. I used two fixings at the top and one fixing at the bottom. This seems to be holding them very securely.

Parts cut

Job done.

Workshop Sounds – Lepai Amplifier

Lepai/Lvpin Tripath Amplifer

I had been looking for an amplifier for the workshop for a while and read about these small and cheap amplifiers on the DIYAudio forum [link to diy audio posts]. The posts suggested that although cheaply made the amps sound great and are very easy to mod.  So order placed and £19.99 later it arrived. My new version can badged as Lvpin, the new name for Lepai (apparently meaning “dependable product” in Mandarin”). I ordered one without a PSU, I happened to have an external hard drive PSU offering 12v DC 2 Amps output so I hooked that up first to check how this budget amp would fare.

Continue reading

Workmate table top

Workmate table top

I wanted to build a worktop to be clamped into a workmate or folding workbench to provide a larger working area and as I had some spare 18mm MDF, 2×2″ and 2×3″ CLS I used them. MDF can and does warp so I framed the edges with the 2×3″ which I glued and clamped and then drove a few screws to hold in place. This will provide extra strength and also provide a surface to clamp against.

Continue reading