I wanted a server for a while to take care of streaming music, streaming films, backup documents, photo storage, print server and anything else I need. I avoided the cheaper generally low powered NAS’s (I have a raspberry Pi that could do that) and decided to essentially build another pc to perform these tasks. It would be more powerful and offer more functionality. It will however cost more to run and take up more space. But I was happy with that.
AMD APU A6-6400K (second hand)
MSI motherboard A88XM-E35 – FM2 socket
4GB Generic RAM – now upgraded to corsair 1600mhz 4GB
500gb Hitachi HDD – now upgraded to 120GB PNY Optima SSD
Following on from the last bed build (see part 1, part 2), I made a second one. This time a full UK double size rather than a UK small double. As it was a full double I again added the centre 2×4″ and also a centre leg for extra strength.Frame made in the same way as before, 4×1″ for the legs, 2×4″ for the frame and 1×4″ for the slats. Prior to assembly, I cut everything to size, sanded it and varnished with water based polyurethane (dries much faster than oil based).
I wanted to make some speaker brackets for the new (old) mission speakers I acquired for the workshop and having some scrap 2×4″, 2×3″ and MDF, I made up these.
I was inspired by this design from instructables LINK. I choose to amend the design by choosing to use lots of wood glue(!) and mitred some of the edges for aesthetics.
I cut the pieces to size, sanded and fixed with wood screws and lots of wood glue. These will easily support the speakers and I think look good. By cutting the 2×3″ this way it will ensure that there is plenty of room to fix the brackets to the wall either side of the brace. I used two fixings at the top and one fixing at the bottom. This seems to be holding them very securely.
I wanted to build a worktop to be clamped into a workmate or folding workbench to provide a larger working area and as I had some spare 18mm MDF, 2×2″ and 2×3″ CLS I used them. MDF can and does warp so I framed the edges with the 2×3″ which I glued and clamped and then drove a few screws to hold in place. This will provide extra strength and also provide a surface to clamp against.
After buying a new ladder, I needed some brackets to get it off the floor and out of harms way, so I made up some brackets from 2×3″ and chipboard that I happened to have lying around.
Here they are complete, very simple design fixed with lots of wood glue and 42mm drywall screws. They are secured to the wall with 3 3″x10 screws each. They have and will hopefully continue to prove capable of supporting the 20kg ladder. To finish I wiped them over with a quick coat of danish oil. Job done.
All that’s needed now is to run over the bench frame with a random orbital sander 180 grit to remove the pencil marks and to improve the finish. I will then wipe over the frame with Danish Oil to protect it – two coats with six hours between coats.
Finishing the Workbench MDF worktop
The MDF top and shelf was varnished with polyurethane oil based varnish thinned by 50% white spirit for the first coat, left to dry overnight and then 25% white spirit 75% varnish for the second coat. It was laid on thickly and let soak well into the board. The varnish is thinned to really get it to soak into the board, rather than a top film of varnish that may chip away. Then a final neat coat of varnish was applied. I wiped the surface with 240 grit sandpaper between coats to key the surface.
[picture of varnish and white spirit]
This will soak in well and provide a durable and resistant finish for the bench top. Alternatively Boiled Linseed Oil or Danish Oil could be wiped over and again let soak in well or a piece of hardboard could also be used as a sacrificial top and replaced as required.
I needed some shelves to store the accumulated junk that collects in a garage so to give some room to still make things.
The storage unit was constructed from CLS 2×3” and 12mm MDF. The CLS is more than adequate in strength and the MDF will provide a nice flat surface for the shelves.
I got the 2 full MDF sheets cut into five pieces each so I ended up with 10 pieces approx 485mm by 1220mm. By placing two piece side by side I will have a unit with five shelves 2.4m long with no waste.