I recently got a new Garmin satnav (2569LMT-D) great sat nav with lifetime maps, lifetime trafic via DAB, 2 years speedcam updates and bluetooth.
Which then left the older Nuvi 50, I had planned to retire this old one with outdated maps, I could buy new maps from Garmin but if was more than half what I paid for the original unit. So after a bit of research I found OpenStreetMap and easily loaded new maps to the old satnav.
Once downloaded, unzip and copy over to an SD card in a folder called “map”.
Put SD card into satnav, wait to boot, settings, maps, untick the garmin one and leave the new one ticked. Sorted. I could have wiped the old maps and loaded directly to the internal memory but its so easy just to load from the SD card I didn’t bother.
Its still a slow satnav compared with the new one and doesn’t have the latest speed cam updates, traffic or bluetooth but handy as a backup.
to be clear – OpenStreetMap is opensource – these are not pirated maps
Following on from the last bed build (see part 1, part 2), I made a second one. This time a full UK double size rather than a UK small double. As it was a full double I again added the centre 2×4″ and also a centre leg for extra strength.Frame made in the same way as before, 4×1″ for the legs, 2×4″ for the frame and 1×4″ for the slats. Prior to assembly, I cut everything to size, sanded it and varnished with water based polyurethane (dries much faster than oil based).
I had been looking for an amplifier for the workshop for a while and read about these small and cheap amplifiers on the DIYAudio forum [link to diy audio posts]. The posts suggested that although cheaply made the amps sound great and are very easy to mod. So order placed and £19.99 later it arrived. My new version can badged as Lvpin, the new name for Lepai (apparently meaning “dependable product” in Mandarin”). I ordered one without a PSU, I happened to have an external hard drive PSU offering 12v DC 2 Amps output so I hooked that up first to check how this budget amp would fare.
After buying a new ladder, I needed some brackets to get it off the floor and out of harms way, so I made up some brackets from 2×3″ and chipboard that I happened to have lying around.
Here they are complete, very simple design fixed with lots of wood glue and 42mm drywall screws. They are secured to the wall with 3 3″x10 screws each. They have and will hopefully continue to prove capable of supporting the 20kg ladder. To finish I wiped them over with a quick coat of danish oil. Job done.
Making a Workbench Part 1 is here, Part 3 here, completed (almost) picture here tools lists here and final finishing here.
I first started by marking up the long sides with four marks to provide a fixing point for the legs and marking four points on the shorted sides – 2 to attach to the sides and 2 to attach to the legs. I marked this up on a template to speed the process up, then piloted drilled and countersunk the holes.