We spent Christmas with my parents and wanting to take some xmas music along, I decided to give volumio a go to setup a mobile/tablet/pc controlled music player with a raspberry pi.
Picture of the set-up
- B+W Zeplin speaker dock (using the 3.5mm input)
- Raspberry Pi model B+
- music files located on Lexar usb stick in .flac format
- SD card with the Volumio OS installed – download from here: http://volumio.org/
- USB extension cable with cheap USB soundcard attached (extension cable as sound card is too bulky to fit next to the usb stick) – £2 or so from eBay
- USB Wi-fi stick – digitazz
- power supply for pi
The new B+ pi has an additional 2 USB ports, better power management and cable connections on only two sides. Great for volumio as I needed 3 USBs (soundcard, music and wi-fi).