Tumble dryer stand

I ordered a tumble dryer and wanted to make a stand with castors to make moving it easy as its going to be located in my workshop. I also wanted to add a worktop to protect the machine and provide somewhere to put stuff when working. So I gathered up the following materials:

  • x1 full sheet of 18mm MDF (only half was needed)
  • 2×3” CLS timber
  • Wood glue
  • Drywall screws (65mm and 42mm)
  • Danish Oil (j cloth/sponge and gloves to apply)
  • x4 75mm braked castors
  • m8 washers

Then after a few minutes on sketchup I produced this:

I set the top slightly back that the bottom to ensure access to the control panel on the machine was not obstructed.

To construct, first I got the MDF cut to the nearest mm at the local DIY centre taking the measurements from sketchup,  its quicker than trying to cut sheet materials well with a circular saw and more importantly I don’t have any decent dust extraction (MDF dust is not nice!).

Once I had the MDF panels cut I started with the base, I cut the 2×3” to size, added plenty of glue, clamped and used drywall screws to fix through the MDF into the 2×3”.

I fixed all four sides, then cut four blocks to support the castors. These were just glued into place and then the castors were fitted with 65mm screws and M8 washers.

Then after a couple of coats of Danish oil, I was left with this:

Then the tumble dryer arrived! So it sat happily on the stand and I constructed the top part with it in place.

First I cut four legs the same size 980mm, pilot holed them and fixed them with four countersunk drywall screws and again plenty of glue. I ensure they were sitting square by checking with a rafter square and then fixing. When you have a platform on castors and a tumble dryer it does make this procedure slightly more difficult! But no damage to the new machine!

Anyhow all four were fixed, I then took the top piece of MDF which again had been treated to two coats of danish oil and using 42mm drywall screws and glue secured the top. One of the legs had a slight twist so I fixed the top to this one first and then tried to put it straight by fixing the opposite one next which done the trick. Finally fixing the other two corners. Then I cut some 2×3” to fill in the back and sides and fixed with 42mm drywall screws and glue which should support the MDF and prevent twist in the frame.

I only final thing is to add a piece of 2×1” to the front fixed in the same manner more for aesthetics that structural integrity.

I will probably give all the 2×3” a quick wipe over with more danish oil and the MDF a coat of Polyurethane Varnish or furniture wax. I had hoped the Danish oil would be sufficient but it does not seem to protect against scratches as well as I had hoped so I will add either wax or polyurethane to further protect. Some form of coating is required with MDF as it will soak up water and warp if not protected. So almost finished, here it is:

Will probably last longer than the tumble dryer!